What is the Dynamic DNS concept?
To begin, Dynamic DNS, also known as DDNS, is a service that immediately updates your IP address (the A or AAAA record) if the host (device) changes it.
When the lease on your IP address expires, your ISP (Internet service provider) can change it automatically.
If you use the device as a server, you can use DDNS to ensure it remains accessible. Otherwise, you won’t be able to reach or determine the new IP address from afar.
Without Dynamic DNS, the connection would break the moment the ISP changed the IP address, making it impossible for someone operating a monitoring server with a camera at home to observe the footage from a distance.
What is the process of Dynamic DNS?
When using Dynamic DNS, you should pick a trustworthy DNS hosting company that provides the service. Once you’ve located the service that best meets your requirements, you should install its software on the router or host device. If the ISP changes the IP addresses (IPv4 or IPv6), this specialized program contacts the Dynamic DNS service provider. The DNS hosting provider then modifies A record or AAAA record by swapping the old IP address for the new one.
There is no way to use a DDNS service when a network is configured with a static IP address. The reason for this is straightforward. There is no need for additional changes once a domain name with a static IP address is requested. Why? Because these IP addresses are static. They are, however, costly.
How beneficial is this service?
Among the benefits that DDNS can provide are:
- A straightforward solution. All you have to do is sign up for the service, and the software will be installed. Ready!
- DDNS is a low-cost option. There are both paid and free DDNS providers. However, it is less expensive than purchasing static IP addresses for your company’s devices.
- You will receive real-time notifications for IP changes to the DNS server.
- A strong and reliable Internet connection is necessary to install security cameras. They will continue to operate continuously because of Dynamic DNS.
- Access should be simple and seamless for employees who work remotely or use a VPN.
- Access to your server or website is not interrupted. It makes no difference if the IPv4 or IPv6 address changes . Your visitors will be able to access your website.
- You will notice the benefits of Dynamic DNS if you use your computer to host an app, game server, or website.
Just now, you learned what Dynamic DNS is, what is the way it works and which are its key benefits. Do you want to utilize it? Consider using it since, for the most part, it will function well and save you money. And in addition, if you cannot afford downtime, carefully consider which DNS hosting provider to use.